The Apprentice will be responsible for carrying out basic laboratory duties that may include sample collection, equipment calibration, solution preparation, stock control and glassware maintenance while conducting basic physical and analytical testing methods on raw materials, in-process or finished product. All work to be conducted and recorded in accordance with good laboratory practices.
Level 7 Laboratory Analyst Apprentice
The Apprentice will be responsible for carrying out basic laboratory duties that may include sample collection, equipment calibration, solution preparation, stock control and glassware maintenance while conducting both basic and advanced analytical testing methods (e.g. chromatography, water and microbiological testing) on raw materials, in-process or finished product. In addition, the Apprentice gain more working exposure to various Quality Systems. All work to be conducted and recorded in accordance with good laboratory practices.
The ideal skills set for someone working in a laboratory:
- Numerical Skills: Numerical skills are needed for the successful running of experiments or reporting of analysis results,
- Team Working: The apprentice must be able to work in close coordination with other team members in the laboratory,
- Attention To Detail: The apprentice must be precise in all activities, following protocols and quality procedures closely, noticing quickly if something is deviating from expected results,
- Organisational Skills: Organisational skills are needed to ensure the apprentice is carrying out sample/analysis testing in a methodical way while maintaining good records and overall organisation of the laboratory, its supplies and equipment,
- Written Communication Skills: Written skills are required to keep clear and concise records of laboratory activities and experimentation results in accordance with internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) as well as external regulatory requirements.
Upon completion of the apprenticeship, the laboratory apprentice will have gained considerable hands on training experience, with the knowledge and ability to conduct a variety of high level testing techniques, they will also have developed their soft skills.
The Laboratory Apprenticeships ensure that the apprentice is a well rounded, skilled, knowledgeable and work ready individual upon completion of either the Level 6 or the Level 7 apprenticeship.